Choosing Perl/Python for my particular niche

Cameron Laird claird at lairds.com
Wed Mar 31 09:42:36 EST 2004

In article <4069F371.B4D08F58 at doe.carleton.ca>,
Fred Ma  <fma at doe.carleton.ca> wrote:
			.
>Well, my bout with Perl took much, much more than an hour.
>It worked, though.  It's probably not enough experience to
>get a good look at the strength of Perl.  For example, I
>am a vim user (an editor), which is cryptic at first, but
>let's you fly when you get to know it.  I'm not saying that
>all things cryptic are efficient in the end, just that a
>brief bout won't always uncover the strengths.  As a
			.
			.
			.
Absolutely:  a brief bout is a poor guide to long-term
strengths.  The consensus of our follow-ups, though, is
this:  Perl and Python both have so many, and so com-
parable, strengths "in the large", and they both have
such interesting cosmetics, that it *is* meaningful for
you to spend an hour or two and get a clear first impres-
sion of each.  Some things (people, cultures, foods, ...)
can't be known at a first glance.  When restricting your
attention to Perl and Python, a first glance *is* help-
ful.
--

Cameron Laird <claird at phaseit.net>
Business:  http://www.Phaseit.net