Static Typing in Python

Gonçalo Rodrigues op73418 at mail.telepac.pt
Sat Mar 13 10:46:52 EST 2004

On Sat, 13 Mar 2004 14:55:08 +0000 (GMT), Premshree Pillai
<premshree_python at yahoo.co.in> wrote:

> --- Terry Reedy <tjreedy at udel.edu> wrote: >
>> "Premshree Pillai" <premshree_python at yahoo.co.in>
>> wrote in message
>> > Anyway, what I want is to force variable
>> declaration.
>> > In perl we have the "use strict vars" pargma...I
>> need
>> > something like that...
>>
>> For those of us who do not know Perl, and there are
>> many, I suspect, on
>> this Python newsgroup, that means nothing ;-).
>>
>> tjr
>>
>> --
>
>Yes. Let me explain. Perl's "strict" pragma makes sure
>that you have declared (initialized) a variable before
>using it. Nothing more to it.

I don't know a thing about perl, but by your description, strict
pragma is to solve a problem *in perl that does not exist in Python*.
If you use a variable before declaring (I'm using your terminology --
it's not the most correct in the Python world, though) Python just
raises an exception, e.g.

>>> #No var declared... exception raised:
>>> print var
Traceback (most recent call last):