Python Documentation Blows!

PiedmontBiz piedmontbiz at aol.com
Tue Mar 30 18:18:02 EST 2004

>I'd say that good docs don't make a great language but bad docs can ruin
>a great language. Python's docs aren't bad but they could be a lot better.
>
>wxPython would be my example of some of the worst (non-existant)
>documentation available for Python while PyGame would be my example of
>some of the best.

As a newbie, I have spent a lot of time with the official python docs. I find
they are terse, but thorough and helpful. I always keep in mind that these docs
are produced by professional programmers --not professional technical writers.
They also have jobs and family responsibilities so for them, this is a labor of
love.

For the few areas where the docs are lacking, I have found that there is almost
always a tutorial or two written by python boosters which get me through.

The only place I had real problems with the docs was the section on cookies.
Cute but unusable to me. I'm not complaining though. I have not yet contributed
anything to the python documentation myself.

allen.