Using bound variables in Tkinter events

Derek Fountain devnull at example.com
Sun Mar 28 23:13:19 EST 2004

I'm coming to Tkinter from Tcl/Tk. In Tcl I can get a variable in an event
using the %<X> substitution mechanism. For example, I can set up a command
like:

 entry .e -validate 1 -vcmd "checkkey %d"

knowing that the '%d' will be replaced by something useful - whether the
entry widget has recieved an insert or deletion in this case. The checkkey
procedure will recieve "insert", "delete" or whatever as its first
parameter.

What is the Tkinter way of getting that %d value?