Python Equivalent??

scummer scummer at 3squares.com
Thu Mar 11 10:15:16 EST 2004

Jeff Epler <jepler at unpythonic.net> wrote in message news:<mailman.202.1078889095.19534.python-list at python.org>...

> Here's the final function:
>     def convertDateTime(d, pattern="%Y-%m-%d %H:%M:%S"):
>         tup = time.strptime(d, pattern)
>         seconds = calendar.timegm(tup)
>         assert time.gmtime(seconds)[:6] == tup[:6]
>         return seconds
>
> Or, for the terminally terse:
>     def convertDateTime(d, p):
>         return calendar.timegm(time.strptime(d, p))
>
> Jeff

Thanks a lot Jeff, this is sweet. I came up with the following just
after posting:

     def convertDateTime(d, p):
         os.environ['TZ'] = "UTC"
         time.tzset()
         dollop = time.mktime(time.strptime(d, p))
         return int(dollop)

But I think yours is superior as I have not quite figured out how to
get the timezone back to the local one again.

Thanks again,

Mark