Extending Python Syntax with @

Heather Coppersmith me at privacy.net
Wed Mar 10 21:05:35 EST 2004

On Wed, 10 Mar 2004 16:50:58 -0500,
"John Roth" <newsgroups at jhrothjr.com> wrote:

> ... Someday people will get over their attachment with being
> able to write programs with any old text editor that happens to
> be lying around, and being able to print their programs without
> needing a special formatting program, but that day isn't today,
> and I doubt if it's tomorrow.

It will be *never*.

At least emacs and vi share a common file format.  Even if you
prefer [the wrong one], you are free to use it to edit "our" files
should we ever collaborate.

Not only that, but sed, grep, awk, diff, cvs, tr, m4, perl (gasp),
python (whew!), lex, yacc, uncountable interactive shells, and any
other tool(s) you or I care to write for whatever odd requirement
comes up also share that common format (the occasional OS-imposed
newline convention notwithstanding).

Is your IDE that flexible/extensible/powerful?

So perhaps you're right, and that IDE that replaces "any old text
editor" is Unix (with all due copyright apologies) and everything
in its $PATH.

IMO, YMMV, etc.

Regards,
Heather

--
Heather Coppersmith
That's not right; that's not even wrong. -- Wolfgang Pauli