Exiting Tkinter when using IDLE

Eugene Van den Bulke eugene at boardkulture.com
Fri Mar 12 15:00:01 EST 2004

On Fri, 12 Mar 2004 08:14:24 +0100, Gerrit Muller
<gerrit.muller at embeddedsystems.nl> wrote:

> Jason Harper wrote:
>
>> You have two issues here:
>>
>> 1. Don't use the quit method, instead just close your window.  Your QUIT
>> button could perhaps use:
>> 	command=self.destroy
>>
>> 2. Don't call mainloop() if IDLE already has one running.  Try this:
>>
>> import sys
>> if "idlelib" not in sys.modules:
>> 	root.mainloop()
>>
>> 	Jason Harper
>
> I think that this answer deserves a place in a cookbook recipe. I did
> not work with Tkinter for more than a year, but I remember that I
> struggled with exactly the same issues and more or less experimentally
> reached this solution.
>
> thanks for the clarification!
>
> regards Gerrit

I have a probleme with the "if idlelib" solution ... without the
root.mainloop() the window does not appear after I pressed F5 to run the
programm. But when I type root.mainloop() in the shell window that opens
up, it works.

Any idea? Thanks for your help.

--
Eugene Van den Bulke