Help getting the md5 module to work

Carl Banks imbosol at aerojockey.invalid
Fri Mar 19 21:30:42 EST 2004

Grumfish wrote:
> I'm trying to use the md5 module but it gives me a different result from
> what other programs give. This is the code I have and the result from
> hexdigest() never matches what I expect. Its probably something stupid
> but its driving me crazy.
>
> f = file (filename, "r")
> m = md5.new()
> data = f.read (CHUNK_SIZE)
> while data != "":
>        m.update (data)
>        data = f.read (CHUNK_SIZE)

I'll wager this is happening on Windows.  When reading data in text
mode on Windows, Python converts "\r\n" sequence to "\n".  You need to
open the file in binary mode.  Try changing the first line to:

    f = file(filename,"rb")

--
CARL BANKS                      http://www.aerojockey.com/software
"If you believe in yourself, drink your school, stay on drugs, and