pdb help...

Miki Tebeka miki.tebeka at zoran.com
Mon Mar 8 04:08:29 EST 2004

Hello Equis,

> Suppose I have a module named
>
> IamModule.py
>
> How do I set a breakpoint at line 1 and step through the lines
> of code?
$ pdb mkuser
(Pdb) break 10
Breakpoint 1 at /home/mikit/work/perforce/mkuser:10
(Pdb) r
 > /home/mikit/work/perforce/mkuser(10)?()
-> from os.path import join, isdir
(Pdb) print argv
['mkuser']

> I'm sorry for such a silly question but I've been dumbed down by
> a Java IDE named IntelliJ.
>
> There it is easy, I click to the left of an arbitrary line to set
> my breakpoint and then I click on a greenBug to run code
> up to the breakpoint.  Once it is stopped at the breakpoint I can
> inspect various things.
If you are more comfortable with GUI there is a build-in debugger in
IDLE (Python's "default" GUI) and also in Pythonwin (if you use it on
M$). I'm sure many more IDE's have a GUI debugger.

IMO pdb is the most powerful one, takes more time to learn though.

HTH.
Miki