Using Pythonwin to poke at Windows apps?

Henrik Weber Henrik.Weber at sdm.de
Mon Mar 15 07:58:35 EST 2004

Thomas Heller <theller at python.net> wrote

> I had to change the first FindWindow call to this:
>   e = win32ui.FindWindow("CabinetWClass", None)
> and then it finds an instance of the normal Windows Explorer, on XP pro.

That's strange. I'm running XP pro as well. Why can't those people
keep their software consistent :-(

> You are correct that the TBBUTTON instance contains all zeros, but it
> doesn't crash for me.  Of course I'm not running a released version of
> ctypes, instead a patched cvs version.
>
> I cannot see anything that is wrong, it seems that the SendMessage call
> doesn't change anything in the TBBUTTON instance.  Can it be that some
> messages are not valid over process boundaries?

Yes, that seems to be the problem. It appears there are some hoops to
jump through if I want to do that. I found a message in a VB forum
about this problem and, what's more, a VB module that does the hoop
jumping. I'm porting this to Python now. Read access already works,
the rest should follow pretty soon.

Thanks your help.

Henrik