Python and Multi-Physics

Fernando Perez fperez528 at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 3 17:29:37 EST 2004

Satish Chimakurthi wrote:

> If I come to know of more succesful stories in Multi-Physics research using
> python, I would like to include them too in my presentation and emphasize the
> spirit of using python in scientific research. I know of few companies like
> CFDRC and laboratories like LLNL who use python extensively for the kind of
> research I am talking about(from web). Is there any other individual or
> company devoted to such research ? Please let me know. This information would
> be of great help to me in presenting my stuff better.

Here's a link you may find of interest:
http://www.osti.gov/scidac/updatesharrison.html

Some details of this work will be presented at an AMS regional meeting in
March:

http://e-math.ams.org/amsmtgs/2090_program_ss12.html

Look for the Saturday afternoon sessions for links to the abstracts (the talks
aren't written yet :).  All of the work at ORNL and what we at CU Boulder are
doing is in python, with C/C++ and Fortran cores for the speed-critical parts.
I haven't put any of what we've done online yet, but I'll make sure to have
the pdfs for the AMS talks available when they're done.

A guy across the hall from me did his PhD in fluid-structure interactions
(cavitation calculations for explosions near ships), but he was using Fortran
and I've yet to convince him to switch to python :)

Cheers,

f.