Static Typing in Python

Peter Hickman peter at semantico.com
Mon Mar 15 10:26:58 EST 2004

Jacek Generowicz wrote:
> Peter Hickman <peter at semantico.com> writes:
>>Premshree Pillai wrote:
>>>Like in C, C++, etc, Python too is
>>>strongly typed, i.e., variables are necessarily bound
>>>to a particular type.

[deletia]

> Secondly, you appear to be confusing C and C++ with strongly typed
> languages. A common mistake :-)

No I was just taking Premshree's lead where he says 'Like in C, C++,
etc, Python too is strongly typed'

> Python is strongly typed because:
>
> - lots of type checking is done
> - few implicit type conversions are done.
> - No operations which are inappropriate to the object(s) in question
>   are allowed.

Perhaps you should read the following where Guido van Rossum talks about
typing in Python. Here he is contrasting strongly typed languages with
Python.

"In a strongly typed language, when you change to a different data
structure, you will likely have to change the argument and return types
of many methods that just pass these things on. You may also have to
change the number of arguments, because suddenly you pass the
information as two or three parts instead of one. In Python, if you
change the type of something, most likely pieces of code that only pass
that something around and don't use it directly don't have to change at
all."

It would seem to be clear that what Guido considers to be strong typing
is not a feature of Python. As the following quote seems to indicate.

"Weak typing is not really a fair description of what's going on in
Python. It's really runtime typing because every object is labeled with
a type."

Here's the link http://www.artima.com/intv/strongweakP.html I would
recommend reading www.artima.com to anyone interested in programming.

So there we have it, Python is *NOT* strongly typed unless you know more
about Python than Guido van Rossum.

1-0