What's missing from python?

Stefan Axelsson crap1234 at hotmail.com
Mon Mar 22 10:33:45 EST 2004

Scott David Daniels wrote:

> This almost certainly not go in.  You can get into a big legal hassle
> when you ship encryption binaries around, as some governments tend to
> think of them as "munitions" and regulate traffic in them.  Python
> just wants to avoid that hassle, and so leaves it up to you to put it
> together.

Actually with the Wassenaar agreement its not that bad anylonger, with
an "open source", i.e. freely available source implementation, which
would cover C Python quite nicely I think.

The only countries that would be excluded would more or less be excluded
(it's a gray area) from importing Python anyway, since it's 'American
technology'. Google the Wassenaar agreement.

And IMHO the world in this day and age actually needs more free high
quality crypto implementations. I'd hate to see crypto not being made
available because of some (more or less) irrational fear that one might
step on someones toes. "Damn the torpedoes, full speed ahead". Other
software (likewise exported from the US) contains crypto implementations
these days, so I see no reason that Python couldn't.

Stefan,
--
Stefan Axelsson                  (http://www.cs.chalmers.se/~sax)