Python & the job market

David McNab david at rebirthing.co.nz
Sat Mar 13 19:30:04 EST 2004

Robert Brewer wrote:
> kbass wrote:
>
>>I am starting to learn Python but I want to know how the job
>>market looks for programming using Python. I really don't see
>>many jobs (probably one or two) that require Python experience
>>at all.

The same thing was once said about C, Perl, even COBOL. The suits have
always gone through a period of resistance before finally seeing the
benefits of each new technology.

One option would be to sell oneself into a job on the back of another
language like Java or Perl, then at first opportunity write something in
Python and demonstrate how much quicker and easier it is to write stuff.
You could even use some dirty tricks like writing stuff in Jython.

>>Most DBA and SA positions that I have seen require
>>Perl and most development position require Java or C++ so
>>how can learning Python benefit my career if there are little
>>to no chance that an employer will require the use of Python
>>or consider using Python over other programming languages
>>such as Java?

I'm glad not everyone lets themselves get intimidated by thinking like that.

Take a walk around the Google labs - now that place is Python City.

> Java was designed to benefit your career. Python was designed to benefit
> your life. Pick one.

Why not both? Get your butt into a Java site, deliver some stuff on
time, get some credibility, then start selling them on Python.

David

--

Kind regards
David

--

leave this line intact so your email gets through my junk mail filter