Which Python module for PostgreSQL?

Mike C. Fletcher mcfletch at rogers.com
Tue Mar 2 19:07:41 EST 2004

W. Borgert wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I'm not new to Python, but new to databases and PostgreSQL.
>I like to write a PostgreSQL client application (not code
>running inside of the RDBMS), and Debian has four modules:
>
>python2.3-pgsql - A Python DB-API 2.0 interface to PostgreSQL v7.x

Also known as pyPgSQL, my personal choice, mostly because it is BSD
licensed, compiles easily on Win32 and is fairly DB-API compliant.
Authors have been fairly responsive to my bug reports over the months.

>python2.3-popy - module providing access to PostgreSQL from Python2.3

One of the more popular ones.  Last I heard it was still GPL licensed,
though apparently there's some plans to make it BSD licensed as it
merges with pygresql. IIRC it has a very strong Zope DA.

>python2.3-psycopg - Python 2.3 module for PostgreSQL

GPL-licensed AFAIK, apparently designed to be more thread-safe and
efficient than "the others".  Again, popular.  Again, I seem to recall
that it has a strong Zope DA.

>python2.3-pygresql - PostgreSQL module for Python

Ancient code (maintained by my business partner incidentally) which
predates the DB-API (though is still maintained), intention is to merge
the project with PoPy.  BSD-style License (it's part of the postgresql
tree). This is *not* a DB-API module, and I personally would *not*
suggest using it in new code unless you desperately need the special
features of the "classic" API it provides... and even then...

>Now I'm confused: Which one should I use?  I'm going to try
>python2.3-psycopg, but maybe the other variants are "easier
>to use"?  Or faster?  Or more complete?  Thread-safe?

Mostly licensing issues, thread safety and efficiency are the
differentiators AFAICS.

Good luck,
Mike

  Mike C. Fletcher