py2exe distribution wants internet access (DNS)

Otto Krüse otto_kruse at hotmail.com
Thu Mar 11 05:26:12 EST 2004

Hello,

I've made a small GUI program that connects with a MySQL database to
collect information which is put on the screen. The database and the
program are used for testing purposes so I installed them locally and
only use them locally (so on my own computer).

When I run the script from a system (WinXP) shell through the python
interpreter all goes well. However when I make an executable program of
it through py2exe there's a problem. When I start the .exe file the
program wants to 'talk' to my DNS on the internet. My firewall sees this
and asks me if this all right.

Now if say 'yes' to the firewall the program runs as expected. But if I
say 'no' my program won't connect to the MySQL server. Now this isn't
quite right, I run MySQL locally so DNS access should not be necessary.
This firewall stuff also makes distributing the program harder: not all
users have access to firewall choices, on some machines programs are
blocked by default.

Why does the original python script run normally but does the py2exe
'conversion' of it want DNS access? How can I change this?

Thanks in advance,
Otto Krüse