Gadfly ????

Frithiof Andreas Jensen frithiof.jensen at removethis.ted.ericsson.dk
Fri Mar 5 07:42:55 EST 2004

"Fuzzyman" <michael at foord.net> wrote in message
news:8089854e.0403040124.1c6bd929 at posting.google.com...
> Gadfly looks like an interesting database system for python. I am
> working on a couple of projects that may benefit from using a database
> (on the other hand, these days - is there really aproblem with using
> dictionaries that are a couple of meg in size and searching through
> those ??).

That you will be reinventing the wheel - databases are good at dealing with
storing stuff and ordering/querying for it in many different ways you did
not think you would need when starting out.

You could even say that an SQL database can be an interface to the data
produced by you application - if you need to stick a Report in a MS-Word
document or Spreadsheet f.ex..

> One of these projects is a customer feedback database that will be
> installed on our intranet - so I was looking for a pure python
> solution.....

Why "Pure Python"? Check the http://www.python.org/topics/database/ - if
there is a Python DB-API for the database it is practically transparent to
use it.

> I thought Gadfly was a pure python implementation - however when I
> download the package it looks like it's optimised to work with
> kjBuckets and kwParsing.

*Optimised* yes - it will *work* without though.

Gadfly has some other issues: It is a limited SQL language implementation so
f.ex. CHECK and KEY constraints will not work - you have to do the
syncronising of linked tables and parameter checks "by hand" as it were.

PySQLite is the closest to a full SQL implementation of "the simple"
databases - beyond that it is a Server; PostGresSQL f.ex. PySQLite comes
with a rather complete SQL implementation. Being a file-based database there
may be some locking issues preventing simultaneous access to your database
depending on the version of windows you have and the version of PySQLite. It
can be worked around.