'1' + 1 ==> True ???

Peter Maas fpetermaas at netscape.net
Thu Mar 18 03:21:55 EST 2004

Nicola Mingotti schrieb:
> 2) Like C -----> Char is converted to int
> #include<stdio.h>
> int main(){
>   printf("%i %i", '1' >  1 , '1' + 1 );
>   return 0;
> }

That's not really a conversion. '1' is 0x31 in memory
and 0x31 > 1. C simply compares memory locations, so
comparisons are perhaps even be machine dependent.
Unlike C, Python's comparison results for different types
are defined in a strange but archicture independent way, see
Python Library Reference 2.3.3. The important thing is that
objects of different types are not equal.

> Excuse me again for mistakes or possible (but unwanted)
> rude language .

Sorry, no excuse. :-) Really, please stop excusing, for the
following reasons:

1. It's GREAT that you post in English, as I don't understand Italian.
2. Native speakers also make mistakes.
3. Nobody expects an excuse (I think).

:-)

Mit freundlichen Gruessen,

Peter Maas

Peter Maas, M+R Infosysteme, D-52070 Aachen, Hubert-Wienen-Str. 24
Tel +49-241-93878-0 Fax +49-241-93878-20 eMail peter.maas at mplusr.de