Debugging Python extensions

Gus Tabares gustabares at verizon.net
Thu Mar 4 15:32:51 EST 2004

Hello all,

I'm writing some Python extensions in C under Windows using Visual
Studio .NET 2003. I want to be able to debug my extensions using .NET.
I'm not very clear on the exact process of doing this.

So far I have compiled a debug version of the 'pythoncore' project
that is located in the Python sources. This has produced the
python23_d.dll which I will use to link with my pyd.

I have a few questions after this step:

1. Do I need to compile my own version of Python2.3 to debug my pyd?
2. Do I have to name my debug pyd as filename_d.pyd?
3. Does the init function need to be named initfilename_d?

I understand that .NET 2003 is not "supported" (I believe only VS6 is)
but I would think using .NET 2003 would not be much different aside
from converting the projects to the new format.

Thanks,
Gus