Advice needed: large OpenGL + Widgets Project for Molecular Graphics

Rick Muller rick_muller at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 16 11:15:59 EST 2004

"Mike C. Fletcher" <mcfletch at rogers.com> wrote in message news:<mailman.27.1079431794.742.python-list at python.org>...
> Rick Muller wrote:
>
> >3. Tkinter/PyOpenGL/Togl
> >   Advantages: Least amount of modules to install.
> >
> >   Disadvantages: Tk is ugly. Tk is old. Tk doesn't look good on
> >   Macintosh/Aqua. Togl is either dead or dying?
> >

> Togl is pretty much history.  I'll likely fix the installer one last
> time for the next bug-fix release (2.0.2) and then drop the thing.  I've
> been looking for someone who uses Tkinter+Togl to champion maintenance
> of the thing for years and never found anyone interested enough to
> bother.  I'm not a huge fan of Tkinter either, for that matter.

Help me out with this: is it that the togl project is history, or that
the Python bindings for Togl are history? I've poked around the Togl
website (http://togl.sf.net), and I'm not overwhelmed with new
releases. Plus, there don't seem to be many posts to the mailing list
in the last year.

But I'm amazed that more people don't need to put an OpenGL window in
a graphical widget -- seems like a common task. How do people do this?

Thanks for the responses!