The ONLY thing that prevents me from using Python

Kevin 816168 at gmail.com
Fri Aug 5 09:21:47 EDT 2005

I have been using java (jsp/servlets), vb/asp and perl for a few years.
Almost all my projects are web site development related, and many of my
clients' web sites are hosted on those shared web hosting services.

The problem is that it's difficult to find hosting services with Python
installed and supported. And most hosting companies are reluctant to
install it for you because they don't want to do the extra work(they
would always say to me, why don't you use php or java or asp or per?).
I have searched and found some companies that support Python. But still
there are far few choices than other options.

I am sure this issue has already been raised a billion times. I just
feel very frustrated on this. I want to learn and use Python in my web
projects.

One day in last December I decided to learn Python, because of Bruce
Eckel's  recommendation on his web site (I started java with his book).
After writing a few scripts (each with a hundred lines or less), I
really liked Python, even though at first to me, it has a very
different style and mindset from my accustomed java approach. I enjoyed
the experience and was ready to delve into the OO and other aspect of
Python.

But because of the hosting issue, I stopped and since then have spent
more time on php, and it seems that I would soon become a full time
PHPer now.

I really wish Python could be more widely available on web server
machines. This is just my own experience and I would like to hear your
comments.