Bitching about the documentation...

François Pinard pinard at iro.umontreal.ca
Mon Dec 5 21:47:23 EST 2005

[skip at pobox.com]

> Let me repeat this for the umpteenth time: You do not have to learn
> LaTeX to contribute to docs.  Submit plain text.  One of us with some
> LaTeX knowledge will do the markup.  Content is the hard part.  Markup
> is nothing, so don't let it be a barrier for you.

More than LaTeX, the main frozener is when people in charge tell you to
use bug trackers to speak to them.

This is like standing up with someone, having a conversation, and your
partner suddenly tells you: "If you want to speak to me, please study
this form, carefully read the small print, fill it properly and send the
yellow copy at this address."  Surprised, you ask: "Why should I do
that?", and he replies: "I might forget our conversation if you don't
fill a form for me."  Even more suprіsed, you say:  "Gosh, can't you
manage your own notes yourself, as you see them fit?  Most grown up
people are able to take care of themselves, you know."  "I just do not
like filling these forms!  Besides, _my_ time is quite precious."

Astonished, you just cannot believe what you hear.  Life is so short,
you think, why one would ought to stand with such guys?  As the room is
full of other interesting people, you happily move on towards them.

--
François Pinard   http://pinard.progiciels-bpi.ca