Python as Guido Intended

Antoon Pardon apardon at forel.vub.ac.be
Thu Nov 24 06:30:04 EST 2005

Op 2005-11-24, Simon Brunning schreef <simon.brunning at gmail.com>:
> On 24 Nov 2005 10:21:51 GMT, Antoon Pardon <apardon at forel.vub.ac.be> wrote:
>> But only Guido, thinks like Guido and then even Guido may now think
>> differently than he thought before. And what if Guido had a bad day
>> when he came up with something, should we just adopt to what he
>> had in mind without questioning them.
>
> No one is suggesting that Guido is perfect.

I disagree. They may not do so directly, but if each time a language
change is suggested, someone answer that this is not Guido thinks
about it or something similar, then Guido is certainly presented
as the standard with which to compare. Putting al those responses
toghether suggests Guido is perfect.

> But he's consistently a
> better judge of language design than I am, and in all likelihood
> better than you, too. If you like Python, it's 'cos you like the
> decisions he's made over many years.

So, that makes that about a lot of things we think alike. Remains
the question about whose ideas are better about the things we
disagree.

> Where my first impulse is to think that one of decisions is wrong,
> nine times out of ten in time I'll come to find that I was wrong and
> he was right.

When I first came to python, I almost immediatly thought a number
of things would improve the language. A number of them are
already implemented or seem to be scheduled for 2.5.  I'm not
going to argue that that makes me a better language designer
than Guido, but it does seem to be an indication I'm not that
bad.

--
Antoon Pardon