Windows: get owner and group of a file

Duncan Booth duncan.booth at invalid.invalid
Wed Dec 6 09:35:13 EST 2006

Fredrik Lundh <fredrik at pythonware.com> wrote:

> Tim Golden wrote:
>
>> Wow. Python 2.2. No extensions. Not even popen (). You don't
>> want much, do you? I *think* the answer is that you can't.
>
> does the "group" concept even exist on Windows ?  cannot recall I've
> ever seen "ls -l" print anything but "everyone"...

Domain users have a 'primary group'. Actually, contrary to what I said in
the previous post I'm not sure that files have the concept. It may just be
users and the actual group permissions then get stored on the file. If so
and if you assigned any other groups permission on the file you may not be
able to distinguish which is the original group for the file and which was
added later.