Windows: get owner and group of a file

Tim Golden Tim.Golden at viacom-outdoor.co.uk
Wed Dec 6 09:04:42 EST 2006

[Fredrik Lundh]

| Tim Golden wrote:
|
| > Wow. Python 2.2. No extensions. Not even popen (). You don't
| > want much, do you? I *think* the answer is that you can't.
|
| does the "group" concept even exist on Windows ?  cannot recall I've
| ever seen "ls -l" print anything but "everyone"...
|
| </F>

Must admit that I was toying with an excursion into
the possible conceptual mappings between the Posix
owner/group concept and the Windows security model,
but decided that I wasn't too sure at what level
the OP was. (And I'm not exactly on firm ground myself).

The ls.exe from UnxUtils which I use doesn't even try: it
just gives "user" and "group" for everything. I've just
checked their source and that's exactly what it does.
So you might well be right that the user's ls
(Cygwin, perhaps?) does no more.

I suppose I was reading something like "How do I get
some kind of group ownership information for this
file?". Which could be achieved in some way, if only
by picking the first one or the most/least restrictive
according to taste and requirements. But my experience
is that doing *anything* with the Windows security model,
especially with an imperfect understanding of it, is
a recipe for frustration.

TJG

http://www.star.net.uk