beta.python.org content

Steve Holden steve at holdenweb.com
Fri Jan 27 08:33:06 EST 2006

Shalabh Chaturvedi wrote:
> Steve Holden wrote:
>
>>How does
>>
>>   http://beta.python.org/about/beginners/
>>
>>look?
>>

> Steve,
>
> This is a great writeup. Here are my comments:
>
> 1. "Fortunately Python is something that an experienced programmer of
> another language (be it ..."
>
> Add C# and/or Java to this list. The current list might scare away a lot
> of people ;).

I just went with "whatever it may be" as even less exclusive :-)

> 2. "also available as the python-list mailing list"
>
> Add "or a google group (link)".

Gimme the link!

> 3. "You may want to find out which text editors* are tailored to make
> Python editing* easy"
>
> Change at two places:
> You may want to find out which text editors or IDEs
> (http://wiki.python.org/moin/IntegratedDevelopmentEnvironments) are
> tailored to make Python programming easy.

I added IDE's as a separate category - great idea!

> 4. Typo: look for 'welcomne'

Fixed, thanks.

> 5. There seems to be a great overlap between this and what could go in
> the 'For Developers' section. Maybe we need only one section ('For
> Developers'?) In general many pages with overlapping content confuse me
> (and probably others)

Don't agree. Repetition is actually better that presenting each piece of
information precisely once for many purposes.

Anyway, I am also working on the developer section in parallel to
improve the focus of that content.

> 6. The 'About' page should have an additional section:
>
> Python is Popular
>
> Thousands of developers use Python to make themselves more productive in
> application domains across the board - enterprise computing, web
> development, game development, scientific and numerical computing,
> embedded and mobile development and more. See `Success Stories` and
> `Quotes` to discover more.
>
> Thanks,
> Shalabh

Excellent, thanks!

regards
  Steve
--
Steve Holden       +44 150 684 7255  +1 800 494 3119