New Python.org website ?

Fredrik Lundh fredrik at pythonware.com
Thu Jan 19 03:23:03 EST 2006

Tim Parkin wrote:

> > the design is alright (if a bit too "bland business"), but the little I've seen of the
> > information architecture and the backend infrastructure feels like 1998 (which,
> > I suppose, was when the project started...)
>
> Could you expand on why the backend infrastructure and information
> architecture feel like 1998? (it's a bit of an abstract comment and
> doesn't offer anything constructive).

it's the kind of tools that people built around then: a bunch of text files,
and a make-style build templating system.  to use the tools, you log in
to the web server via a back channel.

> An example of a site info architecture that feels like 2005 would be
> good. Also an example of a backend architecture that isn't like 1998
> would be good too.

anything that supports edit-though-the-web and does the final composition
by composing HTML information sets would be more 2006.

the easiest way to get there would be to use a MoinMoin instance to main-
tain the content, and a separate renderer to generate static pages for the
main site (possibly using Cheetah or Kid as template languages).

</F>