dict problem

Jon Clements joncle at googlemail.com
Wed Oct 25 06:29:07 EDT 2006

Alistair King wrote:

> Jon Clements wrote:

> > > I strongly suggest reading through the tutorial.
> > >
> > > I don't think there's enough code here for anyone to check it properly.
> > > For instance, it looks like FCas exists somewhere as it's barfing on
> > > trying to find C. Where is XDS defined etc...?
> > >
> > > I can't see updateDS1v() ever completing: any Fxas passed in not equal
> > > to 0 will repeat indefinately.
> > >
> > > I'm guessing unless C is meant to be a variable, you mean to pass in
> > > the string 'C'.
> > >
> > > A dictionary already has it's own update method....
> > >
> > > Perhaps if you explain what you're trying to do in plain English, we
> > > could give you some pointers.
> > >
> > > Jon.
> > >

> sorry,
>
> this has been a little rushed
>
> XDS is defined before the function and is a float.
> the Fxas values are also and they are integers
>

> now ive tried
>
> def updateDS1v(Fxas, x, XDS):
> while Fxas != 0:
> atoms = DS1v.get(x) + Fxas*XDS
> DS1v['x'] = atoms
>
> updateDS1v(FCas, 'C', XDS)
> updateDS1v(FHas, H, XDS)
> updateDS1v(FOas, O, XDS)
> updateDS1v(FNas, N, XDS)
> updateDS1v(FSas, S, XDS)
> updateDS1v(FClas, Cl, XDS)
> updateDS1v(FBras, Br, XDS)
> updateDS1v(FZnas, Zn, XDS)
> print DS1v
>
> from this i get the error:
>
> Traceback (most recent call last):
> File "DS1excessH2O.py", line 242, in ?
> updateDS1v(FCas, 'C', XDS)
> File "DS1excessH2O.py", line 239, in updateDS1v
> atoms = DS1v.get(x) + Fxas*XDS
> TypeError: unsupported operand type(s) for +: 'int' and 'str'
>

> with single quotes (FCas, 'C', XDS) to retrieve the value for that key
> from the dictionary and then create the new value and replace the old value.

One of Fxas or XDS is a string then...

Again, no-one can help you if we can't see what's actually there.

What are FCas, FHas etc... do they relate to the element? If so, isn't
that a dictionary in itself? And your update function is still an
infinite loop!

We're still in the dark as to what you're trying to do, try describing
something like: "for each element there is an associated 'F' value. For
each element in an existing molecule I wish to change the number of
'whatever' to be 'whatever' + my 'F' value * value XDS..."

Jon.