question about xmlrpc server: returning a list of lists to a Java client?

fortepianissimo fortepianissimo at gmail.com
Mon Oct 23 00:21:38 EDT 2006

I have a simple xmlrpc server/client written in Python, and the client
throws a list of lists to the server and gets back a list of lists.
This runs without a problem.

I then wrote a simple Java xmlrpc client and it calls the python
server. But I can't figure out what type to cast the result (of type
Object) to. The Java xmlrpc call is basically this:

Object result = client.execute("MyFunction", params);

And I tried to replace that line with

 Vector result = (Vector) client.execute("MyFunction", params);

and

ArrayList result = (ArrayList) client.execute("MyFunction", params);

and both gave me  java.lang.ClassCastException.

I'm really not a Java expert - anyone can give a hint or two?

(NOTE the java client/python server works well when the returning
result is of type string - so this rules out some other possible
problems)

Thanks a lot!