Python un-plugging the Interpreter

Jorgen Grahn grahn+nntp at snipabacken.dyndns.org
Tue Apr 24 09:37:46 EDT 2007

On Thu, 19 Apr 2007 20:39:57 -0700, Alex Martelli <aleax at mac.com> wrote:
> Steve Holden <steve at holdenweb.com> wrote:
>
>> A long time ago Greg Stein produced a patch that removed the need for
>> the GIL, but nobody seemed to want to pay the penalty it extracted in
>> speed reduction, so it languished unadopted.
>
> Perhaps the current wave of dual-core and quad-core CPUs in cheap
> consumer products would change people's perceptions -- I wonder...

Maybe it would change /perceptions/, but would normal users suddenly
start running things that are (a) performance-critical, (b) written in
Python and (c) use algorithms that are possible to parallellize?

I doubt it. (But I admit that I am a bit negative towards thread
programming in general, and I have whined about this before.)

/Jorgen

--
  // Jorgen Grahn <grahn@        Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu
\X/     snipabacken.dyndns.org>  R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn!