Python un-plugging the Interpreter

Steve Holden steve at holdenweb.com
Fri Apr 20 00:58:54 EDT 2007

Alex Martelli wrote:
> Steve Holden <steve at holdenweb.com> wrote:
>
>> A long time ago Greg Stein produced a patch that removed the need for
>> the GIL, but nobody seemed to want to pay the penalty it extracted in
>> speed reduction, so it languished unadopted.
>
> Perhaps the current wave of dual-core and quad-core CPUs in cheap
> consumer products would change people's perceptions -- I wonder...

It would be nice to see the GIL banished, but the impression I get from
my (limited) acquaintance with the Python 3.0 world leads me to believe
that its banishment is *not* being treated as a priority.

I can understand that it would be a major engineering effort, but I
should have thought the returns on multi-core architectures would have
been worth considering.

It's going to be interesting to see whether perceptions in the CPython
world change as PyPy and IronPython progress.

regards
  Steve
--
Steve Holden       +44 150 684 7255  +1 800 494 3119
Skype: holdenweb     http://del.icio.us/steve.holden