I18n issue with optik

Thorsten Kampe thorsten at thorstenkampe.de
Mon Apr 2 08:07:17 EDT 2007

* Jarek Zgoda (Sun, 01 Apr 2007 22:02:15 +0200)
> Thorsten Kampe napisa?(a):

> >> I'm not very experienced with internationalization, but if you change::
> >>
> >>      gettext.install('test')
> >>
> >> to::
> >>
> >>      gettext.install('test', unicode=True)
> >>
> >> what happens?
> >
> > No traceback anymore from optparse but the non-ascii umlauts are
> > displayed as question marks ("?").
>
> And this is expected behaviour of encode() with errors set to 'replace'.
> I think this is the solution to your problem. I was a bit surprised I
> never saw this error, but I always use the unicode=True setting to
> gettext.install()...

I can't see the "solution" here. Is the optparse "print_help" function
wrong? Why should there even be errors if I use "unicode = True" with
gettext.install?

I have ISO-8859-15 gettext translations and I want optparse to display
them correctly. What do I have to do?

Thorsten