Stackless Integration

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Thu Aug 9 11:57:57 EDT 2007

"Justin T." <jmtulloss at gmail.com> wrote in message
news:1186650027.043779.276520 at i38g2000prf.googlegroups.com...
| I've been looking at stackless python a little bit, and it's awesome.
| My question is, why hasn't it been integrated into the upstream python
| tree? Does it cause problems with the current C-extensions? It seems
| like if something is fully compatible and better, then it would be
| adopted. However, it hasn't been in what appears to be 7 years of
| existence, so I assume there's a reason.

First, which 'stackless'?  The original continuation-stackless (of about 7
years ago)?  Or the more current tasklet-stackless (which I think is much
younger than that)?

The original added a feature Guido did not want (continuations) and
required major changes to the core that would have make maintainance
probably more difficult for most of the developers, including GvR.  For
more, see
http://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0219/

Second, what do you mean by integration?  The current tasklet version is, I
am sure, as well integrated as Tismer can make it.  Last I looked, there
were warnings about possible incompatibilities, but perhaps these have been
overcome.  It is just not part of the stdlib.  And as far as I know or
could find in the PEP index, C. Tismer has never submitted a PEP asking
that it be made so.  Doing so would mean a loss of control, so there is a
downside as well as the obvious upside of distribution.

tjr