Where do they tech Python officialy ?

Paul Rubin http
Tue Jul 24 01:48:10 EDT 2007

NicolasG <nicolasg at gmail.com> writes:
> Does some one have any suggestions on which University to attend ?
> Alternatives solutions are welcome..

If you have a good programming background in other languages, you
should easily be able to pick up Python by reading the manual.

If you don't have a programming background and want to acquire one
through a university program, then it doesn't matter that much what
language the university uses, since if it's not Python, after
completing the program you'll still be able to easily pick up Python
by reading the manual.

If you're having trouble with Python because you're new at
programming, I can sympathize--I don't think it's the most
beginner-friendly of languages despite the efforts in that direction
by the designers.  But once you understand the principles of
programming, Python is easy.

I think Python is not used in university programs very much.  Look for
one that uses SICP (Scheme) or CTM (Mozart/Oz) or a functional
language like Haskell, in preference to the ones that use Java (the
Cobol of the 1990's).  With some reasonable experience in Scheme or
Mozart or Haskell, plus a Python manual, you'll be well on your way.

The SICP textbook is here:

    http://mitpress.mit.edu/sicp/

Maybe it's gotten a little bit old fashioned by now, but it's still
good reading.