Changing Unicode object to Tuple Type

John Machin sjmachin at lexicon.net
Thu May 24 17:49:57 EDT 2007

On May 24, 11:19 pm, "Diez B. Roggisch" <d... at nospam.web.de> wrote:
> laxmikiran.ba... at gmail.com schrieb:

> >> Why? Are you getting an error that makes you think that's a good idea?
>
> >> Tuples are basically structs, unicode objects are strings. There is no
> >> canonical way to convert them. Tell us more about the problem you want
> >> to be solved, and we might help you better.
>
> >> diez
>
> > **********
>
> > I have to get few strings from an application(strings of different
> > languages..ex: korean,japanese,french etc.,). The data returned by the
> > application was in the  format of the xml.
> > Hence I was using pyRXP to get the data. I was not able to get all the
> > strigs in different languages. Now I wanted to use pyRXPU to get all
> > the strings of that application.When Iam using pyRXPU iam getting the
> > following error.
>
> > Traceback (most recent call last):
> >   File "D:\LanguageScripts\Screens.py", line 106, in
> > test_1_01_DoSomething
> >     TitlenSoftkeyfn()
> >   File "D:\LanguageScripts\EventLog_Screens.py", line 66, in
> > TitlenSoftkeyfn
> >     titleBar = root.TitleBar.currentText
> >   File "D:\LanguageScripts\XmlWrapper.py", line 35, in __getattr__
> >     tagName, attrs, children, spare = child
> > ValueError: need more than 1 value to unpack
>
> > Here the child is of the format unicode..
>
> > When pyRXP is used it was of the format tuple... I was just trying to
> > find out if there is some way that I make this code work.
>
> I don't know pyRXP and pyRXPU, and especially not how you use them.
> Who's responsible for writing that "XmlWrapper.py"? He or she obviously
> expected a tuple returned that was basically a DOM-tree (tag, attrs,
> childs and something called spare)
>
> But changing to pyRXPU seems to break the protocol here. But I can't
> judge that without seeing more code.

Looks like the OP needs to RTFM. Here's an excerpt from an article by
David Mertz (http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/library/x-
matters29.html):
"""
pyRXP's tuple tree data structure

pyRXP (and RXP itself) uses an efficient, lightweight tree
representation of XML documents. Each node in a pyRXP tree is simply a
tuple of the form:

(tagname, attr_dict, child_list, reserved)

No specialized Python classes are used in the representation -- just
tuples, dicts, lists, and strings (and None in the reserved position).
Perhaps surprisingly, this form is adequate to represent all the
information in an XML document. The tagname is a straightforward
string; the attribute dictionary is a dictionary that maps attributes
to values, as you would expect. ***The child list is more subtle:
Strings can be interleaved with tuples in the list, indicating a mixed
content element.*** Moreover, an element that has no content is
represented by an empty child list, but a self-closed tag is
represented by None.
"""

"subtle" is not the word I would have used :-)