Extracting files from an ISO image?

Ant antroy at gmail.com
Wed Jan 2 07:06:08 EST 2008

Hi all,

My kids have a bunch of games that have to be run from CD (on Windows
XP). Now they're not very careful with them, and so I have a plan.
I've downloaded a utility (Daemon Tools) which allows me to mount and
unmount virtual CD drives onto an ISO image. This works well, but I
want to wrap this in a Python GUI which will present them with a list
of games in a particular directory.

Essentially the steps are this:

1) Look for all .iso files in a directory
2) Pull out the autorun.inf from the iso (if present) and parse it to
get the name of the icon file.
3) Extract the icon file from the iso and pull the image out.
4) Display the icon along with the iso name in a TKinter (of maybe
WxWidgets) app.

The images are important, as our 2 year old doesn't read (obviously),
but can navigate around the desktop by icon.

So I have two questions really:

1) Is there a module out there for extracting files from an ISO?
2) Is there a module out there for extracting icons from a Windows
exe?

Cheers,

--
Ant.