Reflection and aspect programming in Python

Jean-François Houzard jhouzard at gmail.com
Tue Jan 29 11:42:55 EST 2008

Hello,

I'm a student at UCL Belgium and I have to write a paper about reflection
and introspection in Python.

It is somewhat difficult to find advanced information about reflection in
Python, not only introspection but also the other sides of reflection.
I'm using the book: "Programming Python, Thrid Edition" but the chapter only
describes briefly some useful functions. The IBM site talks somewhat about
the concept of "metaclass" but is there more about reflection than only
metaclass programming?

I'm also looking for a class diagram of the hierachy of the python classes
"metaclass", "class", "object" but didn't find it nor did I find lots of
information about that subject.

I looked around on the site www.python.org and some others about what could
be a killer application using reflection in Python an maybe more information
about it. Like how does it use reflection to do the trick.

Is there an advanced and completed Aspect Python plugin or are they all
experimental?
Are there some papers about that part of reflection or more detailed sites
that talks about it.

It's a wide subject with open questions. I lack a lot of information about
it and finding advanced topics on the subject isn't that easy. That's why I
ask those questions here, to have some enlightments and maybe some leads to
explore.

Thanks a lot.