Python self-evaluating strings

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Sun Jan 27 18:58:48 EST 2008

"Arnaud Delobelle" <arnodel at googlemail.com> wrote in message
news:1BEEBF03-1A38-4745-B08B-DCA3106D1CC5 at gmail.com...
| An earlier post today got me thinking about "quines" (programs that
| output themselves) in Python.  I tried to find some on the web but
| didn't find many ([1]).  In particular I didn't find any that
| corresponded to my instinctive (LISP-induced, probably) criterion:
| I'd like to know if anyone on the list has indulged in this time-
| bending/mind-wasting activity before.  If so, it would be nice to
| create a list of such expressions.

Some years ago there was a substantial thread on this, (Shortest
Self-Reproducing Programs, or some such) including a fairly long one from
me that gave several 'shortest' (depending of definition and input method).
It included a Python tranlation of at least one standard Lisp version.  I
presume you could find it on groups.google

Terry J. Reedy