ISO books of official Python docs

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Wed Jan 9 22:41:55 EST 2008

"Doug Morse" <morse at edoug.org> wrote in message
news:slrnfoae1t.c2f.morse at ikrg.com...
| Hi Fredrik,
|
| I'm terribly confused.  You want me to apologize for recommending that
someone
| buy your books?  To apologize for noting that they are a quality
reference
| sources for Python?

As a past and future technical writer, I can understand Fredrik's reaction.
Your recommendation seemed somewhat lukewarm to me ("So, while not exactly
what you asked for, the ORA books might be a viable alternative if what you
want isn't available" ) and looking back at the original, I do not see
'quality' anywhere.  If someone thinks of the docs as low quality, as some
do, then labelling others' work as a reproduction would imply the same of
the reproduction.

There is a HUGH difference between a 'reproduction' and an intended-to-be
more literate and readable writing that covers the same material.  (I have
not seen Fredrik's book, so I cannot comment on how well he succeeded.)

Terry Jan Reedy

<fredrik at pythonware.com>
| wrote:
| >  Doug Morse wrote:
| >
| > > Several of the O'Reilly & Assoc. books -- such as Python in a
Nutshell, The