TK 8.5

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Tue Jan 1 16:28:03 EST 2008

>> Hence, there is no need to talk about this very much. That
>> Python "supports" Tk 8.5 is too minor to mention - I think
>> even Python 2.4 supports Tk 8.5.
>
> In terms of building and linking Python to Tk 8.5, this is certainly true.
>
> However, I think most people who ask about Python "supporting" Tk 8.5
> are probably asking how easily can the new features in Tk 8.5 be
> accessed from Python, particularly the platform-specific themed widgets.

I just found that there is also "middle ground": would most existing
Tkinter applications work when Python was linked with Tk 8.5; in
particular, would IDLE work?

This is not the case for Python 2.5. Tk 8.5 changed the data types
it returns from certain commands, affecting existing code. Likely,
IDLE should work with Tk 8.5 in Python 2.6 and 3.0, but won't work
for Python 2.5.

> The answer to that question is, "At present, not very easily." There is
> currently no support at all in lib-tk for themed widgets, for instance.
> The external Tile.py module that I maintain at
> http://tkinter.unpythonic.net/wiki/TileWrapper works well enough, but as
> I am not the original author of this module, I cannot really offer it
> for inclusion in the core Python distribution. As such, someone will
> have to step up and write a new implememtation.

That is of no concern for me whatsoever. Contributions are welcome.

I know people are jumping up and down because of these themed widgets;
the "I won't do anything actively" goes beyond that, though: even if
existing widgets get new commands, or new widgets are added, then
support for them in Tkinter is only added through user contributions.

If "supports Tk 8.x" means "Tkinter has wrappers for all commands
and options", then Tkinter has no support for any version of Tk,
as a lot of commands remain unwrapped.

Regards,
Martin