Python too slow?

Mike Meyer mwm-keyword-python.b4bdba at mired.org
Wed Jan 9 19:08:53 EST 2008

On Wed, 9 Jan 2008 15:45:41 -0800 (PST) "dongie.agnir at gmail.com" <dongie.agnir at gmail.com> wrote:

> Okay I profiled the code and here is the output:
>
> http://heightened.files.wordpress.com/2008/01/output.txt
>
> It seems that the function it spends the longest on is the red_points
> function that he uses to find the points.

Ok, so what's that look like?

Python - used properly - can be quite fast. We process 1.5 billion
rows a day through our python-based ETL system. The trick is to arrange
things so that the cpu-intensive work gets done by C code. Preferably
by tightly coded C written by very sharp people and extensively
tweaked to make it go fast. In our case, the T part of our ETL system
is handled by a custom C library that's been around - and being
debugged and tweaked - for quite some time. Other examples include
much of the code for python's builtins, and things like the Numpy
extension library.

     <mike