Collecting Rich Data Structures for students

Thu Jan 10 00:55:46 EST 2008

kirby.urner at gmail.com wrote:
> Some of us over on edu-sig, one of the community actives,
> have been brainstorming around this Rich Data Structures
> idea, by which we mean Python data structures already
> populated with non-trivial data about various topics such
> as:  periodic table (proton, neutron counts); Monty Python
> skit titles; some set of cities (lat, long coordinates); types
> of sushi.

Look into the "Stanford GraphBase" at:
     http://www-cs-faculty.stanford.edu/~knuth/sgb.html
A great source of some data with some interesting related
exercises.

Also, a few screen-scraping programs that suck _current_
information from some sources should also delight; the students
have a shot at getting ahead of the teacher.

--Scott David Daniels
Scott.Daniels at Acm.Org