ANN: gui_support, a convenience library for wxPython

Stef Mientki stef.mientki at gmail.com
Thu Oct 23 15:59:26 EDT 2008

Joe Strout wrote:
> On Oct 23, 2008, at 11:50 AM, Stef Mientki wrote:
>
>> gui_support is library for easy creation of GUI designs in wxPython.
>> Brief documentation can be found here
>> http://oase.uci.kun.nl/~mientki/data_www/pylab_works/pw_gui_support.html
>
> That's neat -- thank you for making it available.  I've just recently
> been working through some wxPython tutorials, and wondered if there
> was a simple text-based layout definition format that would let me
> define my interfaces in a simpler manner.
>
> Your page says that the layout is defined in a docstring, but in the
> sample code, it's actually just in a regular string literal.
I'm no expert I thought a three-quoted string was called a "doc string",
isn't that so ?
> That's nice -- it means that we could read the layout from a file, for
> example, or even make a dynamic editor where we edit the layout string
> in one window, and view the result in real time in another window.
yes, any string will do.
What you describe, my default editor is already doing it. Pressing F12
(also mentioned briefly in the doc), locates the GUI-string, gathers all
the code between the GUI-string and the GUI-execute call or the
GUI-Ready call and runs this part (wrapped in a default application +
frame) in a separate Python machine, resulting in a full working window.
And because the script is just launched, you can launch many of them and
compare (small) differences in the GUI-design.

> Is this layout format -- where indentation shows containment, and with
> the name/type/attributes  for each item on a line -- any sort of
> standard, or just something you guys made up?
no standard, we just made it because in creating about 50 windows the
last couple of months, we were tired of thinking about sizers and
containers and containment referencing each other. So merely put this on
the web, as "an idea", and I think if a number of people look at this
idea, they can come up with a number of improvements.

cheers,
Stef