[Python-Dev] PEP 382: Namespace Packages

Aahz aahz at pythoncraft.com
Wed Apr 15 12:10:33 EDT 2009

[much quote-trimming, the following is intended to just give the gist,
but the bits quoted below are not in directe response to each other]

On Wed, Apr 15, 2009, P.J. Eby wrote:
> At 09:51 AM 4/15/2009 +0200, M.-A. Lemburg wrote:
>>
>>  [...]
>> Again: the PEP is about creating a standard for namespace
>> packages. It's not about making namespace packages easy to use for
>> Linux distribution maintainers. Instead, it's targeting *developers*
>> that want to enable shipping a single package in multiple, separate
>> pieces, giving the user the freedom to the select the ones she needs.
>>  [...]
>
>  [...]
> Anyway, since you clearly understand precisely what you're doing, I'm
> now going to stop trying to explain things, as my responses are
> apparently just encouraging you, and possibly convincing bystanders that
> there's some genuine controversy here as well.

For the benefit of us bystanders, could you summarize your vote at this
point?  Given the PEP's intended goals, if you do not oppose the PEP, are
there any changes you think should be made?

Why is this newsgroup different from all other newsgroups?