Building / making an application

Peter Chant REMpeteOVE at petezilla.co.uk
Sun Aug 2 16:00:15 EDT 2009

Krishnakant wrote:

> Have you considered creating a deb or rpm package for your application?
> Most of the documentation for deb or rpm will talk about make files.
> But even a distutil based python package (with a setup.py) can be made
> into a deb package.
> Then the your requirement will be satisfied at least for most gnu/linux
> based distros.

I'm a slacker, so what I would do would be to make a slack build, the
slackbuild would take the source and build that.  The stage I am at is
the "how to build the source" stage.  Don't really intend to get as far as
distribution specific packages.

What I could do is create a script in the source root directory (that sounds
a bit overblown) that simply concatenates together all the python files in
the right order and perhaps copies the result to /usr/local/bin or /usr/bin
as appropriate.  Is that the right way to go?  It looks like distutils is
appropriate only for modules.

OTOH it might be appropriate to put the bulk of an application in a module
and have a function calling it the only part of the main script.

Pete

--
http://www.petezilla.co.uk