Distutils, bdist_XXX, rpmbuild issues

Ben Finney bignose+hates-spam at benfinney.id.au
Wed Jan 7 21:36:54 EST 2009

Gerry Reno <greno at verizon.net> writes:

> We have an application, foo-5.0.0, and we want to put out some
> pre-release candidates for testing, so we set the version to
> "5.0.0_rc1" in setup.py.

That's where your problems start (as you no doubt surmised). If you
want version numbers to compare in a certain order, you should name
them so that the version string will trivially compare in that order.

> Has anyone managed to solve this issue or is distutils in need of
> some enhancement.

Surely the solution is to choose version strings that will compare
correctly without complicated algorithms?

--
 \         “A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing |
  `\                                                 well.” —anonymous |