lazy evaluation is sometimes too lazy... help please.

Boris Borcic bborcic at gmail.com
Fri Jan 16 05:37:01 EST 2009

The minimal correction, I guess, is to write

    itlist[i] = (x+(i*10) for i in [i] for x in count())

instead of

    itlist[i] = (x+(i*10) for x in count())

although

    itlist[i] = (x+(i*10) for i,s in (i,count()) for x in s)

will better mimic generalizations in the sense that the "minimal correction"
delays the evaluation of count(), which doesn't matter in the case of count(),
but might make a difference if you replace it with some other expression.

The point is that the first iterator-producing expression in a generator
expression - eg the <X> in (<exp> for vars in <X>...) - is evaluated immediately
in the surrounding context, in contrast to the rest of the genexp.

Cheers, BB