Does the Python community really follow the philospy of "Community Matters?"

Steve Holden steve at holdenweb.com
Fri Jan 30 17:36:49 EST 2009

Ivan Illarionov wrote:
> r wrote:
>> Where are the community projects supporting Python? -- besides the
>> core devlopment. Seem s that nobody is interested unless their pay-pal
>> account is involved. I find this all quite disappointing.
>
> Hi r,
>
> Can you just type
>
>    import antigravity
>
> and join us up there?
>
> Hatred for Ruby and Perl seems to oppose natural Python forces,
> that's why you can't see community spirit. Let your hatred go and
> start
> flying already.

Indeed. What r has not yet grasped is that to be in favor of one thing
you don't necessarily have to be against everything else. For example,
if it hadn't been for generous help from the Perl community (as
represented by http://www.yapc.org/) the first PyCon would never have
got off the ground. The competition between languages for the attention
of programmers isn't a zero-sum game.

I think there has perhaps been some slight decrease in the tolerance
level as expressed on this list over the last couple of years, but I
don't think it's (yet) anything to be concerned about. It's mostly a
matter of teaching by example. I'd like to think I usually set a good
example, but I've certainly been known to get crabby from time to time.

regards
 Steve
--
Steve Holden        +1 571 484 6266   +1 800 494 3119