Project source code layout?

Jean-Paul Calderone exarkun at divmod.com
Thu Jun 4 12:04:49 EDT 2009

On Thu, 04 Jun 2009 21:33:13 +1200, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <ldo at geek-central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:
>In message <mailman.1089.1244091958.8015.python-list at python.org>, Allen
>Fowler wrote:
>
>> I was hoping to keep the dev layout as close to deployment possible.
>
>Completely different purposes. For example, the actual production database
>and config files form no part of your development project, do they? And
>conversely, utility scripts that might be used, for example, to set up a
>database, should not be part of the production installation.

If you don't use the "utility scripts" in your development environment, how
do you know they work with the code you're developing?  If production has a
completely different set of configuration files from your development env,
how do you know how your code will work when combined with them?

Any time there is a difference, there is the potential for bugs which you
cannot catch until you deploy your code, and that's a recipe for failure.

Minimizing differences between development and deployment is a *great*
thing.  There are certainly cases where differences are necessary, but
one should strive to make them the exception, not the rule.

Jean-Paul