Integer arithmetic in hardware descriptions

bearophileHUGS at lycos.com bearophileHUGS at lycos.com
Mon Mar 16 00:43:19 EDT 2009

JanC:
> In most "modern" Pascal dialects the overflow checks can be (locally)
> enabled or disabled with compiler directives in the source code,

I think that was possible in somewhat older versions of Pascal-like
languages too (like old Delphi versions, and maybe TurboPascals too).

>so the "speed issue" is not a real issue in practice...<

How can I help Walter (the designer and writer of the D language)
understand this? Do you have articles or other ways that support this
point of view?
Patching the D compiler to re-run programs and benchmarks with such
controls present isn't something I can do yet, probably :o)
(Despite there's a LLVM-based D compiler too now, named LDC, and it
already supports the LLVM intrinsics to perform overflow checks).

Bye,
bearophile